Friday, September 19, 2008

Ps- on Peace Corps


I spent two more days in Maradi, recuperating and resting at the Peace-Corps base there. It was thoroughly enjoyable for me, and very refreshing. I have to say that the team of volunteers in Maradi really impressed me a lot. They were much more diverse in their backgrounds and views than I had imagined, and as I got to know them and the projects that they are working on, I was encouraged by what they are accomplishing for the local populations. The new recruits were equally interesting and full of potential, eager to get to their posts and change the world. It reminds me of me when I first came to Africa! We ate together, played games and discussed books, listened to music, and slept in a giant camp of mosquito nets pitched on the front porch! When I finally left Maradi to come to Zinder, my legs and were fresh and my spirit reinvigorated. Makes riding so much more enjoyable when you are relaxed. Hats off to the Peace Corps for their renewing hospitality!

No comments: