Friday, September 19, 2008

“Don’t you recognize me?"

He sounded hurt, like I really should know who he was. I was in a little omelette shop having some lunch and trying to seek refuge from the scorching mid-day sun. Another customer there, a 17(ish) year old boy was telling the other customers that we had met before, but I was unconvinced. He insisted it was true, so I asked him where and he said “2 days ago, on the road to Konni, we passed you in a white Toyota pick-up, and you waved at us!”

I started laughing from the bottom of my belly! How could I tell him that I get passed by about 20 white Toyota’s every hour? – Over a hundred a day! And I maybe wave at a third of them, if not to be friendly, then at least to loosen off my shoulders. They pass me going so fast, I can’t recognize anyone inside, but apparently I need to be taking better notice! When I explained, then he brightened up and we spent the next hour chatting until the call for prayer. He went across the street and I rolled out my mat to lay down and read for a while.

No comments: