Monday, September 15, 2008

G'day from Maradi!


















Maradi is the 2nd biggest city in Niger and the first place to have working internet since I left the capital Niamey. I have now covered over 1500km, and am over half way to Cameroon! I arrived here Saturday evening and am staying at a Peace Corps centre with about 16 young Americans, mostly of the "granola" variety, from or having studied somewhere near Seattle.



It has been an enjoyable weekend listening to good music, listening to their stories and playing games. Unfortunately, yesterday the power was off, so after an enjoyable morning in a local church, my internet hopes were dashed!



I am actually a little (250km) further East than shows on the map, but it gives you the right idea. From here, I will have only 2 days' ride to reach Zinder, where my student Rahilla lives. I talked with here the other day by cell phone, and am looking forward to arriving there.seeing her and meeting her family.

Hopefully I will be on the road early tomorrow morning.

STeve

No comments: