Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Connect the dots...

Ok- new contest!

Can you name the cities that I have placed on the map? Prize for the winner.

It's kind of funny how plans change and evolve. Last year in Ouagadougou, I bought an old 10-speed to help me get around the city. Then on weekends, I started doing some day trips out on the highway and found them to be really good. So then I started taking over-night trips to see what it would be like if I ever got around to doing my dream of cycle-touring in Africa.

At the end of last year's session I had a heap of problems getting to my flight in Accra and I thought to myself, too bad I didn't leave myself a few more days of time - I would just ride my bike. Hmmmm... The wheels started turning and I decided that this year, after the course, I would ride from Ouaga to Accra.

Just before coming here, some things changed and suddenly I don't have as many responsibilities to come back for. So I have some free time after the course... "Hmmmm.... Maybe I could do a longer bike-trip". I didn't really have time to think it all through before leaving, but decided that I should stay a while longer to do some real cycle-touring. All my spare time in Ouagadougou was used looking at maps and talking with people. A plan started to formulate...

I will start riding in Southern Burkina around the 24th of August and hopefully make it to Northern Cameroon around the end of September. The capital of Cameroon will be some time after that. I have two major obstacles: visas for Nigeria and Cameroon. I picked up my passport from the Cameroonian embassy about an hour ago and that is all set. Now, when I return to Ouagadougou, I will use the Cameroonian visa as proof that I plan on leaving Nigeria, thus qualifying for a 2-week transit visa. Embassies, can be very complicated, it turns out!

Well, there you have it. "The Plan" in a nutshell. Of course, plans are subject to change and I have no idea what will actually happen. I will try and keep this post updated as often as possible.

People ask me "Why?" I never know what to say. There are so many reasons. For me, this is a dream come true. Since cycling across Canada in 1996, I have been dreaming of the much more challenging idea of touring Africa. For me riding is ultimate freedom - the place where I can really clear my head - really pray - really feel the joy of blood pumping through my veins. Being out in the middle of nowhere, I can sing at the top of my lungs or sprint as fast as I can, or just coast along with the breeze in my hair and sun on my face.

To couple this deep enjoyment with another thing that I love (exploring new things, people and places), is pure brilliance. Cycling is the best way to travel because I have time to really see what is around me, to taste and smell an
d be part of where I am. Meeting others along the way makes it all the better.

And this is where my other two loves m
eet my love for Africa. I plan to stay in people's homes as much as possible on the way. Hospitality is the only thing that some of these people have. I will not snub it in order to be independent. The money I would spend on a hotel can be used buy a creative gift for a lacking family. I pray for wisdom to choose hosts wisely and to know how to be a blessing to them.

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

No comments: