Friday, September 19, 2008

Back in the family


Upon arrival here in Zinder, I called Rahilla, my student from Ouagadougou and let her know that I had finally arrived. She rushed out to meet me and I followed her moto-taxi back to her family’s house. They knew I was coming, but weren’t sure when. I was given a place to stay with her father and mother in their expansive, but simple home in the original neighborhood of Zinder, where Rahilla grew up.

Immediately, on entry, I recognized a huge photo of Souleman and Nanna, whom I stayed with,in Niamey, up on the wall, then a picture of Rahilla and others that I didn’t recognize. The father, Moustapha, is VERY proud of his 7 children! They have made me feel right at home, like I am part of the family.

After showering and eating (Rahilla’s mother made me a giant omelet!), I enjoyed getting to know Moustapha. He is 65 years old, and worked (very successfully) his whole life as a car mechanic, but always invested his earnings in farming. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to go out and visit his fields which he continues to work, even though he is retired from the garage that one of his sons now operates.

Later in the evening, I joined about 50 people on the screened-in porch for a mid-week bible study that Moustapha hosts. He has a microphones and everything set up for the weekly event. Everything was in Hausa, but I sat next to a man who translated for me. Afterwards, my translator introduces himself to me as Moustapha’s nephew, Rahilla’s cousin. In fact, the majority of those present seem to be family members of some sort or another. I am reminded of Pooh Bear’s friend Rabbit from who always talked about his many relations. It also reminds me of Acts 16, where it says of the jailer, that, “He and all his house believed”. When I talked with Moustapha about this later, it became apparent, that he is not only extremely active in sharing his faith with his family, but also with his neighbors. He continually shares with those who live around him and he has even mounted loudspeakers on the exterior walls of his courtyard. The singing, prayers and teaching get broadcast for any of the neighbors to listen without fear of being outcast from their families for going to into a Christian home. My first reaction to this was horror. How incredibly imposing – to blare out your prayer time on loudspeakers. Then Moustapha reminded me that this is very culturally appropriate - He says, if Muslims can broadcast their prayers from the mosques, then why not be proud of his faith too?

No comments: