Tuesday, August 26, 2008

feeling better

Thanks for your prayers!

There was a remarkable change yesterday afternoon. My head suddenly cleared and I started to feel in control of my body again. I was weak, but not feeling like I'd been run over by a herd of waterbuffalo.

In the evening, some friends of mine came to Banfora. (Actually, they live here but had gone away for a while and just came home yesterday). It was great to catch up with Brian and Tabitha and their 3 kids, especially since I thought that I might miss them altogether. I ended up staying the night at their house. Originally I planned to leave first thing this morning, but in the end decided to wait one more day to gain some strength and resistance in my body.

I think I should be good to leave tomorrow. Please continue to pray that my body now stays healthy on the voyage to Ouaga. It will probably take 4 days so don't be alarmed if I don't write anything until Sunday. On the otherhand, you never know when you run across an unexpected internet opportunity.

I've been sad that I haven't been able to watch much of the olympics, but what I did see (gold cup football match between Nigeria and Argentina) was heart breaking. It was such a good game and the Nigerians played so well. Oh well.

One of the peculiarities about Banfora is that there is NO public transport here at all. None. No taxis, no motorbikes, or anything. For a city this size (over 70'000 people) it is very strange. Good thing I've got my bike!

"Those who wish to control their own lives and move beyond existence as mere clients and consumers- those people ride a bike."

~ Wolfgang Sachs, For the Love of the Automobile

1 comment:

Mike said...

Sorry buddy have to disagree with you the Gold Medal game was boring, compared to almost any other game played in the Olympics. Slow paced and very few good scoring chances for 2 teams that scored almost at will up till that point. Not a bad game but probably the worst of the Olympics. Glad to ehar you're starting to feel better!